Want to keep smiling for years to come?
In addition to keeping up with your regular dental visits as well as brushing and flossing each day, you’ll want to consider your diet. The foods you eat every day play a big role in both your overall and oral health.
Here’s a list of foods to enjoy more often, and a few you’ll want to consume only in moderation to keep your pearly whites sparkling.
Healthy Options for Your Teeth
Reaching for a snack? Consider these options:
- Get cheesy! Cheese is high in calcium and low in sugar, making it an ideal snack for your teeth.
- As the saying goes, a pear every day keeps the dental chair away. Unlike other fruits, a raw pear is great at neutralizing acids that can linger behind, causing tooth decay.
- Leafy greens are great for your gums as they’re high in folic acid as well as other crucial vitamins and minerals. Don’t like salads? You can add leafy greens to sandwiches, too!
Foods and Drinks to Avoid
We all know that sweets aren’t good for our smiles—but here are a few other culprits that aren’t so obvious.
- Foods high in starch, likes softer breads or even potato chips. These foods are likely to get stuck on your teeth or in the crevices of your mouth, leading to plaque buildup.
- Alcohol tends to dry out your mouth. When your mouth is dry, saliva can’t wash away debris left behind, which can cause problems for your oral health.
- Pickles may be an easy snack, but they’re highly acidic. In fact, all ‘pickled’ foods has a high acid content, which can wear down the enamel of your teeth.
Time for A Visit?
If you’ve been eating too many foods on our ‘bad’ list, don’t worry—we’re here for you. Contact us to schedule a checkup and clean. We look forward to seeing you in the practice soon.